Saturday, October 25, 2008

Big Package. Little Box.


What in the world do people do in New York - and hasn't anyone been reading the news? I thought the world was coming apart at the seems. Apparently the folks at The Box in Manhattans lower east side didn't get the memo.

In fact, at a recent birthday party on a tuesday night, I was surprised to find the place empty at 11pm. Damn, I thought - this place must be on the decline (its actually been open for several years now). After a quick tour provided by my friend..... Interlude - the Box is a converted sign factory and is one the cooler spaces I have been to in NYC.... We sat down to have a drink and await the show - yes there's a show.... And it doesn't start until 1am. 1 am?????? And when it does begin, hold on..... Now I am no expert in burlesque, but it was plenty fun, oversexed and got the crowd to its feet. By the end of the night, folks were hanging from the rafters....

And what a crowd - models, actors, punks, suits.... Typically NY.... And, damn crowded too!! Did I mention there was a a line to get in still at 2:30....

Anyway. The fun ended at about 4 and continued to deteriorate when my alarm went off at 8 (had to sleep in...)...

But overall - what a night.... Happy birthday Eyeballs!

No comments: