Sunday, October 2, 2011

Flower Power














The Singapore Botanical Garden is not the type of thing I normally get excited about. But after several people told me it was worthwhile and reading several recommendations online , it was my first destination last weekend.

I am, relatively speaking, a fan of public parks and open green spaces. I appreciate nature and enjoy the tranquility and magical design of our world. I am also a big fan of Central Park in New York, which I especially love because of its juxtaposition within one of the worlds most urban centers. Therefore, I appreciated Singapore Botanical Garden's suburban location and lack of entry fee.
Unlike central park where signs lead to 'the Great Lawn' or 'Strawberry Fields' or 'Walman Rink', signs here where titled 'rain forest', 'Orchard Garden', Ginger Garden'. Of all the exotic choices, my first choice was "Orchid", the largest collection of orchids in the world.

I could try to put into words how fascinatingting, exotic and magnificent the garden was, but seeing as I am not much of a writer, these images are a better representation. The complete set can be seen here.

I will also add that the heat and humidity of Singapore can be stifling. I was convinced that in spite of the heat, the people managing the orchid garden somehow dialed up the humidity even more. A fact you might notice when you see water perspiring on several flowers. Needless to say, the day required a stop back to the hotel for a shower and change of clothes.

No comments: