Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Are Women Really Depreciating Assets?


POST: “spectacularly beautiful” 25-year-old seeking a husband who makes at least $500,000 a year, because “$250,000 won’t get me to Central Park West.”

RESPONSE: Your proposition is a bad business deal. “In economic terms, you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset,.”“ Your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity.”

According to the NYTimes (article), this little diddy hit the web in full force and raised questions of misogyny, online ethics and overall email etiquette. While his response is cold and biting and I've certainly met my fair share of Hedge Fund managers and M&A bankers, I don't disagree with his logic. And, while I understand how the objectification of women is wrong, this women, whomever she is, has clearly laid the ground rules. She named her price - she just probably never took an economics course......

Lucky for me, I've got a priceless jewel at home that only improves with age!

No comments: