Friday, October 26, 2007

I am one with the external mind. Om.


If you lost your cell phone, who would you call and would you remember their number ?

Have we surrendered personal choice to machines? Has "the computer generation" lost our sense of personal identity and choice, relying almost entirely on computers to tell us what to do? I find myself stumbling upon this question a lot these days. David Brooks discusses this in a recent piece and I can't help but agree with his observations that with all the automation in our lives, shouldn't we question what decisions remain a reflection of personal choice... Computers tell us where to drive our cars, which songs to buy, which products we'll like, who our friends should be....

However, I guess it all depends on each persons relationship to technology - we can blindly accept the "recommended" CD's, food , movies and friends or we can revisit the days when we actually asked somebody.

No comments: