Thursday, November 8, 2007

I was there - but only a few of the performers actually showed up

"I'm not there" is not just the title of a new movie by Todd Haynes - it can also be used to describe the quality of the performances by the bands asked to play some of Bob Dylan's greatest songs for the movie, album and concert.

While there where several highlights, overall the artists just phoned it in.... And for a $60+ ticket, I'm a little (no, I'm very) disappointed.... But maybe my expectations where a little too high. While a few folks delivered on the power and soul of the music, for the most part the music was not $60 ticket caliber... You could just as easily go to any jazz/rock club and hear equal if not better versions of these songs....

So, let's start with the good: The Roots where definately the best, and I hope the rest of the musicians feel like assholes because they made everyone else look like crap.... With the exception of maybe Calexico, MMJ and Jim James, the lap guitar/violin/mandolin player, David Mansfield and Gomez, everyone else was a little underwhelming.

On the sounds good, but it's overall mediocre, was a guest appearance by a young women whose name I can't remember, but who played "Hard Rain..." - who got a standing ovation. She had a nice voice and overall it was better than some of the other performers, but you might as well have just listened to the Eddie Brickel version from the 90's... No originality. No inspiration or soul...

And while I am a huge fan of J Mascis, I was disappointed... I kept waiting on the edge of my seat for J to blow open the doors and deliver a sonic boom of Dylan'esque rock! While J did deliver some nice solo's, it wasn't until the Roots that I actually felt someone or anyone put any effort, feeling and forethought into the music.

Otherwise, there where a bunch of "legendary" folk and punk singers who didn't impress me... And WTF was with the Acid children??? I'm down with the hippy love fest, but don't spend ten minutes getting ready huggin' and lovin' and then play a three minute song....

Sound guy - I know it's tough with so many different performers, but you have to do better than that.. Crackling bass. Terrible mix. Changing the volume in the middle of a song??? Again, disappointing.

And finally, to add injury to insult, Heath Leger - lay off the blow and take the fuckin' gum out of your mouth....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah the show was definitely not that great (glad I convinced some poor sucker to go with me......) However there were some moments and they were pretty much all MMJ, Jim James, Calexicos and the Roots.

Glide Magazine has one gem streaming on their website - Jim James w/ Calexico doing Acapulco take a listen as well as the Roots doing Masters of War....

http://www.glidemagazine.com/media/acapulco.mp3

http://www.glidemagazine.com/media/mastersofwar.mp3

Anonymous said...

Also leathercanary has posted a mp3 of MMJ doing an amazing version of "Tonight I'll be Staying Here With You" (end of the gems that will be $60 assholes!!!!)

http://theleathercanary.blogspot.com/2007/11/tim-meadows.html