Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Know Respect

Everyone has it in for boxing. As Chuck Klosterman observed, "society can no longer relate to the abhorrent purity of (it)" - people just aren't afraid of being punched in the face. They feel safe behind the rule of law and the assignment of blame provided by those who exercise it, lawyers. While I in no way endorse or encourage violence, I also recognize that this freedom from fear, while providing a sense of safety, has also emboldened and empowered, people to speak and act without fear of retribution. Insult someone and you're more than likely to receive a summons than slap.

While I am not someone who benefits from an intimidating physical stature, I recognize the necessity of respect. People used to respect boxers. But I guess, like society, the sport has been changed for reason's of safety.

So I wonder - Do people respect the Ultimate Fighter (UFC) or will that sport go the way of the glove?

No comments: